Wednesday, July 18, 2012

"Rome Knows More Than Any City in the World"

There are no words big and encompassing enough to describe Rome, I cannot even try.

Rome is such an incredibly modern, busy, energetic city. At the same time, it is an open air museum full of ruins and ancient churches. It all makes me feel insignificant, which I like. I have permission to forget my worries, they are insignificant. See that coliseum? Trajan, Titus, and Caesar though they were important too. Guess what, they're dead. We'll all be dead, so enjoy yourself and stop thinking you are so important - you're not.

I adore Rome in the pit of my soul. It could have been the 4 days of sunlight (after 3 months of rain in London), but there is just nothing like it. Dave and I were there for 3 days about 13 years ago, then we were there for a quick stop about 9 years ago before our wedding in Positano in 2003. This time, everything was still as amazing as the first time I saw it those 13 years ago.

Oh and the food. I won't go there because it will just make you feel bad about yourself. I'll just say we ate well.

The whole point of the visit was to see these gorgeous people (T.K. and L.I.) during their 3-plus week vacation in Europe. It was all rather spontaneous for us, but I managed to find two semi-reasonably priced Easy Jet tickets at the last minute - and off we went. I booked us for 3 nights at the Hotel Mimosa, where we stayed when we were there 13 years ago. It is right behind the Pantheon - which is an outstanding location, but the hotel is not the greatest. Though at €100 a night, one must temper one's expectations. The AC and toilet worked, I was happy with that.


I am not sure what is going on, but there is Limoncello involved - so it must be fun.

Pantheon, our hotel was right behind! LOVE!

T.K. had studied for a few months in Rome, so he had a handle on some great off-the-beaten-path things to do and restaurants to visit. Sweet! Plus they T.K. and L.I. had both watched Anthony Bourdain's Rome episode of No Reservations and managed to find the secret Cacio e Pepe restaurant from the show. Hells yeah! I believe Lauren called it, "Pasta I would sell my mother for".


Other than eating and drinking, we tried to avoid tourist attractions during the visit. It was July in Rome and the place was CRAWLING with sweaty people. I only travel in the off-season whenever possible, not just because it is less expensive and I am cheap, but because you avoid the annoying crowds. Here I am at the top of the St. Peters Basilica cupola, along with the rest of the world. Clearly the Italians do not care so much about fire codes.

Kill me now, really.

 OK so we did go to to St. Peters Basilica, there was a short line when we walked by - so we figured, what the hell. Well guess what, my dress was too short and I got turned away at the door - WTF!!!! I purposely wore a conservative, shoulder covering dress for church visiting. Luckily, there was a very enterprising old dude selling ugly scarves out of his pockets right where they turn you away for immodesty. So
€5 later, my knees were covered and I was IN.


Anyone want this ugly scarf? I'll send it to you.


We also did the usual wandering about the town, my favorite. Unfortunately, it was hot as shit. I love hot, but Dave......not so much. A few times, I thought he was going to die. He made it through, however, thanks to lots of white wine and gelato breaks.

The forum.

I love the public fountains, I feel so Roman here in front of the Italian graffiti.


In Trastevere, I had never been over there untill this trip.


Yup, I am sweaty and so so happy.


Amazing, I must go back again SOON.


Random church wedding, nice place. Almost makes me miss being Catholic - not.

OK people, get ready to hate me. We are going to Paris next week so Dave can work and go to some meeings. I will take French classes in the morning and work in the afternoon. Thanks J.P. for the restaurant recommendation by the way. We'll be going to Auberge Nicholas Flamel for my B-day, oh man that's 38 years young for me.

Oh and last night we went to a rainy Madonna concert in Hyde Park, don't get too excited - it was all general admission and we could barely see the screens next to the stage. I sure as hell couldn't see Madonna.

In any case, life doesn't suck. Which is something I have to remember each morning when I wake up and it is RAINING. Love you bye.

3 comments:

FinnyKnits said...

Oh wow - yes. I love Rome soSOso much. Each time I've stayed in Trastevere with friends and, you're right, it IS the best. So picturesque. So full of amazing food.

And, again, there's the blue polo shirt. BUY THAT MAN AN UGLY SCARF OR SOMETHING.

the Martins ... said...

Best face EVER in the crowd picture ;) I got turned away too, for wearing a tank top. I always knew you and I were a couple of wanton hussies!!! xoxo

Anonymous said...

In recent years, mobile game is like a long way to listen in on others
conversations. Some stages you have to give their opinions, and more fun to his
interest. This macho is candy crush saga cheat guided and ruled by specific application development industry should have
good skills in programming and also stables.

Have a look at my web-site: Candy crush saga hack engine download