Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mr. Mom


You know those movies where the wife goes away and the father is left in charge of the house and the children and all hell breaks loose painting the picture that men are morons? Keep in mind that as a liberated male specimen in the new century these movies irritate me. Perhaps they are meant to show the "fish out of water" hilarity or specifically designed by men in secret to ensure that women will do housework in our stead (let's be honest men hate doing it and women seem to derive some sense of satisfaction in telling us we are doing it wrong). Both theories aside, I do like to cook, clean things (that interest me in being clean and that I care about) and most of all understand the house doesn't run it's self. I help out, I'm not incompetent. Just because I don't and never will understand the point of "cleaning the house up cause the maid is coming" or "guests are coming over so let's polish the marble floor before a BBQ where 5 min after is starts you won't be able to tell what color the floor was in the first place, let alone know if it was clean before 97% of the guests get there". I do get the point of a clean toilet, clean linens and a general state of order. These things are important and do reflect on the house you keep. I'm getting off track. My point is after doing my own laundry for 20 years I made one of those Mr. Mom moments. I washed my shit with a two bit flea market scarf Amie bought likely in Nepal giving back to the village people.
Towel on right - natural state. Towel on left, after the washing.
Tally:
5 pairs of underwear a nice shade of deep blue mystery - at least you can't see my pee stains anymore.
1 Towel that no longer has a brother.
3 - Pairs of socks that look well, different - can't say they're ruined?
1 - Pair of Khakis that looks sort of aqua marine - I've been wearing them to work anyway. People either like them or they are being nice.
A bunch of other shit that doesn't affect me - Amie's stuff - her fault - moving on.

Lemon's - lemonade sure, I'm rolling with it.
My fault - No. How would I know some Paki would use a whole box of Rit to dye some two bit scarf that would stain metal.

Point - I don't know but two things are true. I don't like men being portrayed as bumbling idiots in the female role at home (and neither should you for reasons stated above). The other, people wall off what they want to control in a tit for tat environment so who am I to disturb the cold war raging between men and women since.....

2 comments:

Jane said...

Hey, I resemble some of those remarks.

SanHoNoMo said...

Hey. I "pinked" some shirts and socks a few weeks ago washing them with a red bandanna. Can I send 'em to you for "retraining" with that scarf?