Friday, December 16, 2011

Happy Christmas!


Last night the lovely R.C. invited me over for a Christmas ladies dinner at her house.. Here closest friends were also there, and they are all lovely. We had “jacket potatoes” (very British) with chili, and three kinds of desserts! I brought some Rice Crispy squares (very American) and chocolate crinkle cookies. Nothing makes you feel that all is right with the world than laughing around a table for hours with friends. It reminded me of my beloved book club, which I miss terribly. I was so honored to be invited and enjoyed every minute of the looooong, cold night – at least until I walked out the door at midnight to ride my bike home and it was raining…...dammit.

The evening out was especially appreciated because I work from home. I wouldn’t say that I get a TON of social interaction on a daily basis, though I have no one to blame for that except myself. You take those small conversations and jokes around the office for granted. I didn’t realize how busy our Bay Area social life was and how much our friends there are our family, with all the regular weekend activities and holiday events. I try my best with the running club and meeting people at the pool and such. I also schedule the guided tours of attractions (almost always free anyway), so that I don’t become a total social retard. But it is in my general nature to be a loner. I seek solitude, like Amelie in the movie. So I am generally OK with it, but I know it isn’t healthy to be alone in my basement apartment tooooooo often. 

I wish I could pull off that haircut.
 
Speaking of running club, I did my first Serpentine Wednesday night run, and got my ass handed to me. I went out with the 7:30 pace group, and they went a lot faster than that. Three super-speedy girls let the pack (I pretended it was A.T., R.Z., and V.M. to inspire myself). It took everything I could do to stay up with them for the entire 7.2 miles through Hyde, Green, and Regent parks. Thank god for stop lights or I would have been lost in Kensington somewhere. 

So good news, our visit in January is looking more and more likely. Mark your calendars! I would freaking love to be there for the Kaiser SF Half on Super Bowl Sunday. Anyone else racing? We might be able to talk Dave into a carpool again, he drops off RIGHT at the start so no pre-race parking stress and more sleep.

2 comments:

AT said...

You'd drop me at 7:30 pace these days! But I sure do miss running with you. I just bought plane tickets to Italy in 2012 and I'll send you an email with the details. Maybe we can cross paths?

AT said...

You'd drop me at 7:30 pace these days! But I sure do miss running with you. I just bought plane tickets to Italy in 2012 and I'll send you an email with the details. Maybe we can cross paths?