Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Running Update

Oh hello lats, where have you been, oh and triceps too. I've missed you both......

I know the title of this blog entry is Running Update, but I have actually been swimming one hell of a lot. I swim at the Queen Mother Sports Center just down the street from my house. It costs 1.85 GBP each time I swim (cheap). The pool area is brightly lit with huge, high windows so I pretend I am getting some sun when I swim - which I am not. I have a few "friends" I swim with, in particular a cool Irish dude and an Australian. I would talk to them more at the pool but I get cold VERY easily so they probably think I am a stuck-up American because I'm not more chatty. In any case, my swimming is going really well. Too bad it is the middle of winter without a race in sight. Dammit.


My barefoot running career ended up being an utter failure. I aggravated my plantar fasciitis by going out too far and too fast on my first run in my new barefoot shoes. Then, every time I wore the damn things, the pain came back - even if I was just walking. Anyone want a pair of "barefoot running" shoes, CHEAP and barely worn?

So I am taping my foot, as shown in the example below. I have had the dreaded plantar fasciitis before, but last time I had it for about 6 MONTHS. This taping method woks really well for me. I also really back off on the running, and ice several times per day.

Not my actual foot.......

Here is my foot with the giant, gross blister I got from the tape. I cannot win. At least my foot feels pretty good now, aside from the blister.

Ew.

Working part time, you would think I would be really fast right now. Not so much. In truth, I enjoy walking around so much, sometimes running is just not going to happen because my legs are too tired. I am only running two to three times per week, and rarely more than 5 to 7 miles. Generally, my routes are flat - I am in London after all. I have a feeling I have gotten pretty slow. There aren't a whole lot of races in the winter so I haven't really tested myself. I need to plan for some spring races, preferably trail runs, but I'll take anything. In any case, I am going to run with the Serpentine Running Club tomorrow night for the weekly Wednesday Run. Gulp, we'll see how I do. I need to hook up with D.L. and run with him, but he is so freaking fast I'd be left in the dust.

Today I went to St. Paul's Cathedral for a guided tour. It was cool, but Westminster is cooler because there is more history to it. Here is a picture I took from the front stairs of the cathedral on my way out, I thought it looked very Londonish.


Hey hey, I'm in London.

No comments: