Sunday, January 22, 2012

Great London Advice


No Heels
“Leave your cute high heel shoes in the USA, you won’t wear them”, said my favorite expat blog. But what about my cute red sandals with the wedge heel, they are comfy (somewhat). I’ll wear those…..nope. I brought two pairs of heels with me and I can count on one hand the number of times I have worn them. This of course excludes kitten heels, such as my very beloved La Canadienne boots. One simply cannot wear heels in London with all the walking to and from the the Tube, the bus, and the train - and that is just he beginning. Then there are all those slippery sidewalks, stairs, and slightly dodgy escalators, yikes. All this foot traffic is necessary just to exist here, let alone do something crazy like go to a museum or movie. I have never walked so much on a daily basis in my life. I suppose it is good for me, or something.


On nice days, get out in the sun
Vitamin D people, it’s essential and in short supply when the sun sets at 3:45 in the winter. So far, we have had an especially mild winter in London. I have taken full advantage of the sunny days (despite my hurt foot) and get out and walk as much as possible, as described previously this is often out of necessity. And – I do feel better for it.The lovely R.C. gave me that tip, a lifelong Brit - she knows her stuff. Maybe this lack of sun for 2 years will help reverse some of the damage I did at the beach in Carlsbad while I was in high school. What was I thinking, everyday at the beach. And by the way, baby oil is not sunscreen. Oh the horror.


Have something you need to do to so you enjoy the things you get to do
It sounds random I know, but it was great advice. This tidbit came from the wife of one of Dave’s coworkers. We ran into her by chance in Palo Alto a few weeks before we were leaving for London.  I was trying to decide what to do with my life/career given the uncertain job market awaiting me in London. I wanted to maintain my flexibility to travel and enjoy living overseas, but knew I’d go ape-shit without enough “to do”. I have worked since the day I turned 16 after all. Do I quit and take my chances over in London, try and stay with my current employer, not work at all, go to school - aghhhhhhh! Well I obviously kept on at my job (part-time), which has been perfect. I can pretty much work from anywhere in the world as long as I have my computer and an internet connection. Working definitely helps order my day so that I can fit some fun stuff in. I don't "waste time" because I know I have to work later in the day.


Right now we are back in the Bay Area for work and to see family. Boarding the plane at Heathrow, I kept thinking that I was so glad we still have another year and a half in London! There is still so much to see, 2 years will barely cover it. In fact, I only just made it to the Tower of London on Wednesday (which is about two blocks from our old flat near The Monument). I got off at the tube stop nearest our old place and walked over. I passed by a Wren church I had never noticed before, St. Dunstan’s. It was pretty much destroyed during the Blitz and has since been turned into a little park. WOW and WOW, I love that crap.
 
St. Dunstan's - beautiful.

Anyway, the Tower of London was actually a lot cooler than I thought it was going to be. I did the Beefeater-led guided tour, since I am a geek for a good guided tour. There is a ton of history within the walls, including graffiti from the many Catholics imprisoned at the Tower of London during the Reformation.There are also lovely views of the city. Plus the crown jewels, including a 500 carat diamond that was a gift from some Indian sultan back in the day.

 
Inside the Tower of London complex, bridge in the background.

The chapel within the tower, cool view of London beyond.

Me being artsy, or something.

Dark and scary.

An on a final note, my swimsuit is getting to be a bit see-through and x-rated - well on my body it is more PG-13. So I went to the biggest sports retailer in London, and here is my selection. Do you want blue or black? Really? There were some grandma-ish red ones, but come on! Therefore, I will be buying my suit here in the states where I can get an obnoxious girly one at Illusions.


2 comments:

Mary said...

Hi Amie, glad you are getting to go home for a visit. Give Sammy a huge belly rub for us okay!

Mary said...

Hi Amie, glad you are getting to go home for a visit. Give Sammy a huge belly rub for us okay!