Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Dream Realized

Dave made a childhood dream come true for me.

What did you think I was going to say.

As a kid I was taunted by the Harlem Globe Trotters commercials. I grew up in Springfield, Illinois, midway between the larger markets of Chicago and St. Louis, so I was assaulted by that irritating theme song and flashy colors several times each year on TV. I was 7 and I wanted to go, I had to go, I needed to go........

Alas, my parents said it was too far away/too expensive/too lame. I never got to see the mighty Globe Trotters in action, but secretly always wanted to. Thus, my husband got us tickets for the show at Wembley and surprised me!

OK they mailed it in, really all the players did. That franchise probably needs to die now. I suppose it was mildly entertaining for a Monday night. They get little kids down on the floor and have them shoot baskets and help with jokes during the show. Probably better I didn't go as a child. I just would have resented my parents for not letting me ever do anything fun like shoot baskets on the court with the Harlem Globe Trotters, the same way I resented them for not letting me have dill pickles for dinner - as the meal. Stupid parents.

Still it was one small dream realized. And now, I will have dill pickles for dinner. It is good to be an adult sometimes.

No comments: