Monday, March 19, 2012

Football and Other Nonsense


It was a nice friend-filled London weekend. We had dinner with a cousin of my best friend growing up in the Midwest and her lovely Italian hubby, small world. Thanks for he hook-up Miss J.G. And from what I remember of the night, I can highly recommend 10 Cases. Whoever decided to combine soft egg with fois gras can have my first born. I guess that would be my dog though, and I have already given him to someone (ugh, let's not go there again).
  
On Saturday we hit the Fulham/Swansea game. Craven Cottage, the Fulham Stadium, is about 2 miles from our house.

OK I had never heard the Welsh language spoken until that day. The Swansea fans were speaking in a strange druid-like language (very politically insensitive of me there, but it is true). At first, I thought there were a bunch of Dutch or maybe Danish peeps in town. Wait a minute that isn't Dutch, wtf language is that? And I thought Gaelic was a bit strange....... 

Did you know over 600,000 people speak Welsh on a daily basis? Well - now you do! I found that so interesting. Here are some Welsh signs that I think demonstrate the "wtf" factor associated with Welsh, aka.Cymraeg.
 

No idea.

Something about elves.

At least we have the English translation here.


Anyway, we went to the Fulham/Swansea game with D.L. and H.L. Despite the weather (rather drizzly), it was fun.  And despite Fulham's loss, it was still a good day. This happiness in the face of loss was a result of Dave's $100 win at the local betting establishment. Given his Welsh heritage (or perhaps the ridiculous odds against Swansea), he bet that Swansea would win - and they did! You couldn't help but be happy for Swansea, it is their first year in the Premier League after all. The fans sang and chanted the entire game! Here is a conversation that occurred on Facebook during the game:

       N.G.: Beware the Welsh, very strange bunch
       H.L.: Very smart bunch. They have over 100 chants memorized.
       N.G.: Easy to do when you don't have a job.

Ouch........


Yay Swansea, your victory means more champers for us!


On Sunday, I had my first had a traditional English roast with the gorgeous, intelligent woman that is M.W. After eating stupid amounts of meat, we went to a wine bar for "dessert". Let's just say that I had a veeeery early bedtime after that.

I want the unicorn, and M.W.'s outstanding hat!

And in closing, Dymuniadau da, Dymuniadau gorau, Pob dymuniad da - which means Best Wishes (or something of the like) in Welsh!

No comments: