Friday, June 29, 2012

Around the Flat

I think I am finally getting used to a few things here in our flat, it has been a year after all.......


My Closet
Our flat is quite small, like everyone's in London (unless you are super-loaded, with like millions and millions of dollars/pounds). Hence, my clothes closet is also quite small. In the U.S., I had a giant walk-in closet that was all mine. Dave also had his own closet for all four t-shirts he owns. And these closets were contained within what would be considered a very small house by U.S. standards.

In London, it is so different.

Here is my closet, GASP.

OK I also have this space for sweaters, jeans, and t-shirts.

To be fair, I work from home and have no need for a work wardrobe of matching slacks and blouses (does anyone else hate those two words, slacks and blouses). I can easily get by with the few clothes you see in the photos. However, I really like only having the clothes I like to wear. I mean really, how many clothes does one actually need.I am finding out, not many.

There is no room for extras. As soon as I am tired of a piece of clothing, it goes to the Charity Shop (kind of like a Goodwill). The rest of London operates this way also, which means that there are some NICE clothes at the Charity Shops here.


The Self-Watering Garden
The only real benefit of all the effing rain here lately is that we don't ever have to water our wee little garden. Aside from the tomato seedlings, the sky amazingly provides water - all year long.

I have clearly lived in California for too many years to find this hole rain-thing remarkable.......

Look at those beauties.


No Clothes Dryer
I am actually not quite used to this...... Instead of a dryer, the washing machine bakes our clothes after they are clean. Then you are meant to hang them to finish drying. This arrangement is cool in the summer when it is sunny and not raining, not so cool in the winter and most of the year when it is raining. So we had to get this guy in the photo, The DeLonghi dehumidifier extraordinaire.

It helps keep the air dry for our clothes, we have to keep it on most of the time tough. The paint regularly peels off the walls in our apartment because it is a basement flat. And I have this whole OCD thing about breathing mold spores and having them lodge in my lungs and kill me......so we keep the dehumidifier on a lot. He is my friend.


 In Other News
 Yes, the Olympics are almost here. Let the annoyance and crowds begin!

Get ready peeps.

OK, I am getting excited actually. We have tickets to some good events. I'll make Dave write about that since he was in charge of ticket purchases. I couldn't be in charge of ticket purchases because we would have ended up watching the events at a bar on a TV - those effing Olympic tickets are EXPENSIVE.

No comments: