Friday, August 31, 2012

Things I Do While Dave Travels

Dave was in Dublin for a "conference" this week, which I am learning means lots of BS-ing, awful PowerPoint presentations, and drinking. I am not sure what else happens.


In any case, I was left to my own devices this week. Dave and I have been together since 1996 (holy shit), so I have never really lived alone. All that freedom is a bit disconcerting given that I still really don't know a whole lot of people here, and some of my standby peeps were out of town. So here is what I noticed about how my life goes sans Dave. It's weird, not a cocktail all week, WTF.


I read, A LOT. As in going to bed at 8:30 so I can read for 2 hours under no less than two down comforters (it was 45 degrees last night!!!!). I am alternating between Paul Theroux's The Tao of Travel, Tina Fey's Bossypants, and Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island. I am non-committal like that. Dave prefers drinking to reading, so that is mostly what we do around here weeknights.


I eat weird things. Here is a sampling of my evening dinners this week, it is pretty disgusting looking back on it....... I just go for whatever is in the house, which is usually not much since we have a dorm sized fridge and one cabinet in which to store food.
  • Monday: Soft boiled eggs, a roasted eggplant, chocolate ice cream (a lot)
  • Tuesday: Popcorn, crackers and chevre, leftover beets
  • Wednesday - Broccoli with a crapload of melted Gruyere on top, popcorn, the last of the crackers


I attend cultural/art stuff. Since I work from home, I have to make a concerted effort to so something productive each day or else I would never actually talk to anyone but myself. So I go to museum talks, attend guided tours of Englishy stuff, and see weird movies that Dave would NOT put up (Take this Waltz - rent it), etc.

Last night I ditched the reading in bed and I went on an Alternative London tour of street art in East London. It was a cool experience, except that it was 45 degrees outside. The tour is "free", meaning you tip the guide at the end what you think the tour was worth. I especially like the cowboy hat guy, which was done with spray-paint and I have no idea how you do something like that.




I am off to Ireland now to go to the Emerald Isle Classic and then the Galway Triathlon. Love ya bye.

3 comments:

FinnyKnits said...

Yeah, I know the feeling. When Andy's gone, I eat weird crap (popcorn and gin & tonic for dinner is a standby, all the leftover beets, etc), watch baseball games all the way through on TV and read my FACE off.

Then he comes home, we eat proper meals again, ignore sports on TV and read Reddit.

Whaddya gonna do, you know? It's quality time.

sebin said...

click here now replica bags online click here to read replica gucci bags click for info replica gucci handbags

Unknown said...

ce site Web jetez un œil ici naviguer vers ces gars Dolabuy Louis Vuitton ancre sacs répliques hautes