Wednesday, September 19, 2012

UK, Ireland, and France - I Need a Nap

The parents came for a 10-day visit from Chicago. This was their first time in Europe since our wedding in Italy 9 years ago. We stayed a few days in London; then flew to Ireland and visited Doolin, Dingle, Kinsale, and Cork; then flew to Paris.

Overall it was a good trip. We had spectacular weather in London (strangely I have no photos from London).

Ireland was nice, I misjudged the overall speed on the roads in Ireland. We spent way too much time in the car for my liking. Dingle was definitely the standout during the Ireland portion of the trip, in particular the Pax Hotel (love).

Pork, potatoes, and beer - I don't think the Irish ever poo with that diet.

In Dingle, don't you wish that water was warm - me too.

Super old-timey church of some sort.

I don't think I was supposed to climb up there......

Wow, they don't eff around.

Fungi the famous Dingle dolphin, we never saw the "actual" dolphin.


From Ireland, we flew to Paris. OK, let's lay it out there: France rules. There is nothing else to say. Everyone is so nice, the women are stupidly naturally beautiful (no makeup at all), the men wear scarves, and the food makes me want to cry from happiness. And I haven't even mentioned the wine.....

We stayed at the Toits Du Marais. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting. You basically get a bad and bath in someone's home (very Air B&B, if you know what I mean). It was cheap and well-located, and the view rocks. The owner was really patient with my French and didn't defer to English all the time so it was great practice for me. I am not complaining - but it was a bit weird with random people walking around the house.

Requisite tower photo.

Place De Vosges picnic.

Not actually water in those cups, we boozed it up all hours.

Boozing it up, cafe-style. How can something so simple be so great?


Let's just say that since Dave and I got back, we have been laying very low...... Our evenings follow a general flow of cook, eat, read or watch a movie, and sleep. We sleep a lot around here anyway, but we have been really sleeping this week. 

I started my German and French classes again, which I love. OMG the Goethe Institute in London is the best. I highly recommend their classes if you are in London and looking to take German, this may be no one reading this blog - but oh well. I had to say it.

Dave's mom will be the next visitor (probably October), but in the meantime - I need to plan some other trips. We only have 8 months left and we are way off our 24 in 24. Love ya bye.

2 comments:

FinnyKnits said...

Alright. Fine. I'll go to fricken France. I have skirted around western Europe without going but you've just made it sound so good. Plus, now that I'm a makeup-less hippie most of the time, I might fit in.

Except that I'll look like a makeup-less hippie instead of a stunning natural beauty like those gorgeous bitches.

YAY FRANCE.

SanHoNoMo said...

hehe. Dingle.