Monday, November 21, 2011

It Must Be Love


Dear London,

Why do you make me love you so much? I had a perfectly happy, quiet little life in Palo Alto until you came along…... 


This was the first weekend we went really “out”. We had a group so you can be more courageous and go into places that I might normally be too intimidated to go to. On Friday, J.S. (a friend who just moved here from the Bay Area), D.C. (a friend from the good old HMH days), and the Ashtons all went out to a tapas dinner at Barrica - yum. Then, we were off to the fabulously cool basement bar - The London Cocktail Club. The music there was super badass, but no dance floor. So we were off to the Notting Hill Arts Club to get our dance on. It was funk night, N.M. – you would have LOVED the old-school DJ! Apparently, it might have also been gay night……but it can be hard to tell because men in London dress so cool generally. Are you gay or hip, I am just not sure. Dave didn’t know if this one dude was starting a fight with him or hitting on him. Sorry, no photos of our exploits.

The quote of the night from our cabbie to D.C., “I don’t allow George Michael to be played in my cab.” Don’t ask me why D.C. was playing the song Teacher on his Iphone. At least the cabbie didn’t stop the cab and throw us out. 

Saturday was a recovery day…….nothing to report here. Though I did volunteer at a cross country race at the Hampstead Heath, which is just a gorgeous place with views down over the entire city. I will be running there soon and often. It makes me miss the hills of the Bay Area (and Rancho, sniff sniff). We also stumbled upon the Camden Town Markets. While a cool area, it is generally a bunch of trinkety junk on sale at the market. Still, it was worth a visit and I am sure we’ll go back and explore Camden further another day (preferably while not hung over).

On Sunday we had to redeem ourselves. We woke up and went over to the Shoreditch area and Spitalfields Market. The market itself was nothing to write home about. The real action was in the neighborhoods surrounding the market. It was like a multicultural/fashionable giant street fair – imagine Cuban, Moroccan, Burmese, Spanish, Indian, Ethiopian, Lebanese, and Mexican food stands next to the coolest vintage shops, tiny artist galleries, clothing designer shops, Halal butchers, record shops, and bagel bakeries. We wandered for hours!

Dave had Cuban food for lunch.

I am not sure what game this is but it was being played in the street here at the market.



A million small businesses with tiny storefronts.
 
My favorite store! It makes me wish I had brought my sewing machine with me to London.

This photo is for you Kait.

This store housed 30+ small designers and their clothing.

More vintage than you can imagine, but you can't take photos. I got yelled at for snapping this one.



Yeah dudes, the world is not your toilet.

The 99% movement should come on over here to London where they would be considered conservative.

After all that walking, we decided Champagne was necessary – why? Well why not? First stop, St. Pancras Champagne Bar, which is in the giant St. Pancras train station. Not exactly what we were looking for, but what the hell.

 


Second stop, the Library at the Lanesborough. Oh yes!!!! This a Swanky Mc Swank hotel that has an old fashioned Britishy feel. Lots of dark leather, big comfy chairs, old books, a big fire – so nice! Check out the photos at the link above. We will be back there sometime very soon.


 
Well we are stoked for Portugal this weekend. I have been practicing my Portuguese and I am ready! After that, we are in the lead up to Christmas in Austria and New Years in Scotland. Last night we were trying to plan the next few months. Dave REALLY wants to go to Iceland this winter for the aurora borealis, but we also need to get to the states and spend some time there. Ugh too much to fit in! Later in 2012, we are hoping to ride the Camino De Santiago (maybe in May) and go to Palio in Siena in June/July. Anyone want to join?!?!?!

This one is for the gorgeous force that is Mrs. T.D. I saw the photo on Facebook or something. Wouldn’t it just complete your bicycle bathroom!

T.D. I expect to see this at the next book club meeting I attend at your house.

1 comment:

Kait Riordan said...

Rad. Rad. Rad. That picture got me even before I saw the caption. That dark dingy bar sounds perfect.