Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The Mussels in Brussels - Belgium (Country #10)


I’d say that after Ireland last weekend, Dave and I were a bit travel weary approaching this trip. We had no agenda, I did no research - aside from buying the Time Out Brussels edition. We just went. So I'll just give you a few highlights:
  •  We stayed at the Bxlroom Hotel, the place was super sweet and super cheap.
  •  The architecture in Brussels is phenomenal. I was not expecting such a visually striking city.

The main square.


I don't know what any of these building are, sorry.


St. Michael's Cathedral.

  •  Mojito truck (that's for you Jesse). I think Dave and I found our new business! AND they were playing old-school Reggae.
 
We'll make thousands (of pennies).
 
  • Our standing seafood lunch in the square was well worth the walk, as well as the language/ordering challenge. Plus we shared our table with an amazing couple, he was from India and she was French.Oh and when we wanted some bread, there was a bakery with fresh, hot baguettes right across the street from the restaurant.

Go here for lunch!!!!!

Soup, calamari, oysters, warm baguette, and white wine = heaven.
 
  •  Trappist Ales, Lambic, Saison, Pale Ale, Witbier, Kriek.....you get the picture. Watch out though, they are strong - like 8.5%. It sneaks up on you!

Take that liver!

Dashing, isn't he.

  • I wish this picture was better. We wandered into a random bar after dinner and there was an all female band playing dance songs on "band" instruments. These ladies were amazing! I had the best time dancing, they were so into the songs they were playing.

I worship these amazing band geeks!
  

On Saturday, I hopped on a train to Brugge after Dave left to fly to San Francisco. The architecture in Brugge is even more amazing than Brussels - unbelievable, that is all I can say. It was a photo-op at every turn. Brugge reminded me a bit of Siena, but with beer instead of wine and much less attractive men. Apparently, the town was deserted in the 1700s when the river access to the coast silted up. Brugge has since been rediscovered by tourists – a lot of them. There are just too many tour groups running around for my liking, and a few too many lace, nick-nack, and chocolate shops also.

However, I did manage to find a few off the beaten track restaurants for some excellent seafood and a local specialty of pigs cheeks with endive (yum). I think I can cross Brugge off my list now, one visit was enough. 

Side note - I miss Picnik for collages, Picasa sucks.

And a final note - Extra love for Eurostar staff (once again). If you’ll remember, Eurostar also saved my ass last October when we went to Paris and I took us to the wrong train station, and we missed our train. This time, I got to Brussels several hours early from Brugges (it was raining and everything was closed for the Monday Easter holiday). After several Americans in line in front of me were told-off by the surly Eurostar ticket agent, I approached him politely with my best French and said I needed to return to London earlier than expected. I sighed sadly, showed him my non-refundable/non-exchangeable ticket, and asked what the cost of a new ticket on the next train would be. He said he would be able to do me a favor. First, he very sweetly put me on the train for FREE, then let me wait in the executive lounge, and then I got use the first class security screening line to board the train. A new ticket would have probably cost me over 200GBP, which is a ton of cash - plus I got all the special executive treatment! Those French lessons have paid for themselves several times over now.

4 comments:

FinnyKnits said...

I'm very impressed by this French of yours. Well fricken done, sister.

fred said...

The green-domed building in the background of your second picture is the Basilica of the Sacred Heart -- the middle ground looks like Town Hall, but I can't be sure...

fred said...

Yup it's town hall.

Jane said...

Finny - meet me in Italy. I need your Italian.....