Sunday, October 14, 2012

Budapest - Part II

Quick post about Budapest. I'll only make two quick points here: #1) Budapest is one of those great cities.  The architecture, the people, the food and wine. Yes, the wine.  The wine in Hungary is vastly overlooked and is not only very good but a very good bargain.  #2)  As I like to point out once in a while that yes, we are very lucky and living in London has enabled us to travel a lot and see the Europe while we are here. However my work trips are never as sexy as they seem. Had I not had already been Budapest, I wouldn't have seen it and been reminded of how great it actually is. Case in point. Land at airport, jump in cab, take back streets to Hotel, get out of cab, walk in hotel. Forty-nine hours later, two conference sessions, Four conference calls from my room and two dinners by myself in the cafe - I left.  

Don't get me wrong, the hotel was beautiful and the food was good but everyone I knew at this conference went out for drinks, had dinner, toured the town but no, I had calls with the US and shit to do that precluded me from having any fun. I realize that you can go out on your own, however at 9:30 PM when you are done working and not in a neighborhood your know you tend to be a pussy and just go to the hotel restaurant (at least I didn't order room service and watch TV). Two drinks at the bar (again, by myself trying to not look simultaneously like a looser and an alcoholic) and it's off to bed.

On the third and last day I was ejected from my room at 1:00pm and my flight wasn't until 6:00pm.  So packed up and off I went. Walked across the city remembering all the awesome things Amie and I did when we were here on holiday: walked along the Danube, took in views of the Parliament (top left pic), and then hiked up to Buda Castle and St. Stephen's Basilica (right picture).  I decided that a lunch in a familiar place would do the trick so I sat down at 21; where Amie, JC, RC and their Hungarian friends, and I all had lunch a year a go. It was fantastic and this chicken crepe thing was the best thing on the menu, followed by Goulash.

I guess my point is that had I not been thrown out of my hotel or had been to the city before would I have had the balls or discipline to take the half day off and walk the city by myself?  I don't know but I hope to remind myself that like life, the hardest part is taking the first step out the door. After that the city and your curiosity will take you anywhere you need to go.

No comments: