Friday, May 18, 2012

NYC: Tolerant of Your Beliefs - Judgmental of Your Footwear

I love New York. To be fair, I have only been there in the spring or fall when the weather is really comfortable - avoiding entirely the worst of humidity in the summer and piles of dirty snow in the winter. However, it is the friends we have in NYC that make the place so special. To that end, here it is - the NYC report card.

The blessedly sunny and warm days served up by the weather gods, it could not have been any better. A+

Visiting Ronnie and Danny (and family) in Westhampton. A

Sitting on coffee someone had spilled on my seat on the Jitney from Manhattan to Westhampton – gross – though luckily I was wearing dark green pants. C-

Bike riding in Central Park, it was HOT. B

Dave having to actually work during his work trip to NYC. D-

My plantar fasciitis and metatarsaglia. F

The previously mentioned PICKLES (the owner of the company is now my Facebook friend, which I am hoping will get me some free pickles), this gets an A- because I didn't eat enough pickles. A-

Amie and Dave’s progressive party down 30 blocks to our 9:30 dinner reservation on Saturday night. While fun, we were too tired and full of beer to really enjoy dinner by the time we got there. C

Italian dinner in Brooklyn with M.A. and R.A. A

Managing not to get too drunk (like we usually do) with M.A. and R.A. B

Lunch at Great New York Noodle Town (recommended by chef David Chang of Momofuku). B-

Good but I am from Nor Cal where the noodles also kick ass.



Lunch at the world famous Russ and Daughters made especially for us by J.T., who we originally met while traveling in Brazil 5 years ago strangely enough. A

Lunch outside Russ and Daughters, very NYC.



Not having to wait in the Mother’s Day line at Russ and Daughters (thanks again J.T.). A

Dinner at Il Buco (divine) with J.T. A+
 
Brings me back to Brazil!

Oh wait - here we are in Brazil, years ago when I was blonde......
 


Yankee game, the Yankees lost to Seattle. C

Love/hate (mostly hate) affair with the Yanks.



The random piano player after dinner in Washington Square. B+

Coolness on a warm NYC night.


My two least favorite questions asked at the airport:
  • "Do you need some bottled water," no I always bring a bike bottle that I fill at the drinking fountain so I don’t need your stinking $4.00 water in a wasteful plastic bottle - I HATE bottled water in case you can't sense that. F
  • Would you like a bag with that," I bought a book WTF do I need a bag for? F
A 3 hour delay and changing planes after we had already boarded and were about to take off, due to a problem with the fuel line and engine. D-
 
Not dying in a firey crash, yay.

Coming home to our flat to find that the recent construction work was not complete, the furniture all over the place, and dust all over everything. D

Staying at the Savoy on my landlord (come on I got a CHEAP travel agent rate), oh eff yeah. A

Oh the luxury, this was an amazing treat.
 


So I am taking Dave on a surprise trip next weekend. Shhhhhhhh. He doesn't know where we are going, should be fun.

No comments: