Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Welcome to NYC

I am a little embarrassed for what I am about to say...... It is nice to come home to the US for a few days.

The easy flight from London to New York is less than 7-hours-long (I had 3 seats to myself) and the jetlag isn't so bad with just the 5-hour time difference. This trip not quite the haul it normally is for us when we go all the way over to San Francisco with the 11-hour-long flight and 8-hour time difference.

I think because we have done so much travel recently where we don't speak the language well (or at all, i.e. Prague), where it is an effort just to get the right bus/train/shuttle into town from the airport, and where we are strangers to the everyday customs (is it OK to just sit down at the cafe or do I have to be seated); it was nice to get off the plane and take the Airtrain and Subway to the hotel. There were no complicated signs, currency conversions, or difficult decisions. I know the general layout of the grid streets in NY, so even if I got off the Subway at the wrong stop I could have figured out my way.

Besides, Americans (watch me generalize and stereotype with wild abandon now) are so freaking friendly. That same ebullient, dare I say non-self awareness that drives me crazy when traveling (for example that church choir group I encountered at Heathrow, who were so LOUD and SO EXCITED they have Starbucks in the UK - photos were taken of the joyous occasion - and for most of them it was their first trip out of the US, which was mentioned to every person they saw, including two gorgeous Danish women who didn't know what to think of the bible pamphlet they received from said loud Americans) was a welcome and calming feature when I landed. Someone told me which line to take to my hotel as I was staring at the Subway map without asking me for money, how nice. Then some poor grandma realized she was on the wrong Subway line and 20 people jumped in to tell her how to get to the right line, then someone showed her where the escalator was to get there.

Let me be clear, once you get them talking the Brits are some of the warmest, most genuine people I have met. There is no fake California-style, "sure I'll call you and we'll go to dinner" - guess what, the Brits will call and you will go out to dinner. Americans are just so off-the-bat friendly, which is probably why I talk to a lot of dudes in London on accident. They aren't used to a British girl just talking to them without really knowing them, so they love talking to me because they think I am hitting on them. No, I just was talking......I work from home in a basement apartment, I'll talk to anyone.

I always thought that I could be semi-nomadic in life, just living a wandering existence. But now, as strange as it sounds, I am not so sure about that. Perhaps it is because the weather has been total shit in London, I am just getting over another cold and then stomach flu (I blame the germy Tube), and I have plantar fasciitis in one foot and metatarsalgia in the other from walking SO MUCH, but I miss "home" a bit. But at least I know this about myself. How sad to go through this short life always wondering *what if*. But still, let's be real - I really do LOVE living in "Europe" and getting the opportunity to travel and learn so much. I know that it will be the best decision we have ever made.

Now where to eat in NYC tonight!!!!!

1 comment:

Marissa said...

The weather is AWFUL that being said in south Austria this week it's high 20s morning runs on this gorgeous river and couldn't be happier. London is not all London it's the gateway to anywhere which is what makes it wonderful(which you guys know!) looking forward I seeing you soon and enjoy new York!! Xx