Friday, December 21, 2012

London Marathon 2013 - I Need Your Help


That's right y'all.

I have never done this before and will probably never do it again. I am running a race (the London Marathon, obvi) to support a charity - the Battersea Dogs and Cats Home.

I am now one of those charity-racers that I have made fun of, I really have - honestly. As in, why not just do a race and raise money separately. How do these two things go together? What about the charity overhead, how do you know the charity is doing good work, where does the money go, why not just donate your race fee and expenses and sleep in the day of the race......blah blah blah. I am cruel and heartless, and apparently a hypocrite. 

Because here I am, asking you all for money.

I have been volunteering at the Battersea Dogs and Cats Home here in London for about a year now. One day a week, I go to the home and clean kennels and/or walk, play with, feed, train, and snuggle with dogs. Rough job, I know.

You would not believe the amazing work that goes on at the home, on behalf of the staff as well as the army of regular volunteers. People sometimes say to me, "I could never do that - isn't it sad." Actually, it isn't sad at all. These dogs are so well cared for. They are given medical treatment, trained, loved, and (as needed) the old fixeroo. They get to run through the on-site agility courses. Most impotantly, any dog can stay as long as they need to - until they find a home.

There are quite often tears of happiness, not sadness. Generally, this occurs when a very sweet dog gets rehomed, especially if it is one of the longer-stay doggies like Marcel here.

Me and Mutley on our walk at the Battersea Dogs and Cats Home!


The home has the most dedicated and knowledgeable staff who work SO hard, I mean the work is really physically hard. After completing my short 5-hour weekly volunteer shift, I am toast. I don't know how they do it every day for 40+ hours each week.

The home receives ZERO government money. They are fully funded by donations. And only positive reinforcement is used when training! I can fully vouch for the effectiveness of this organization, I am amazed each time I volunteer. These are just a few reasons why I am, asking you all for money.

This is where you come in (in case I haven't mentioned it before), I need your help raising £2500 - which is a lot-o-cash because that number is in £ not $ (ouchie). You can donate here: http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/AmieAshton. There is no fee and Virgin Money doesn't take a commission or anything.

So donate on behalf a dog you own, have known, love, have loved. I am doing this for Sammy because I miss him more than a normal person should.


I'll keep you posted on my training. I normally follow a rather non-typical training plan, we'll just see how it goes.

AND THANK YOU! xo

No comments: