Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas in London


The Monkeys are spending the Christmas holiday in London. I am not sure exactly how this happened - us being stationary for a holiday, that never happens - but here we are. I suppose we figured it was going to be our last Christmas in London (we are scheduled to go home in June of 2013), so why the hell not see what sort of festing we could do in Blighty. Here is/was the lineup so far:

* Yesterday we went to a Chelsea versus Aston Villa Game (Chelsea crushed 8-0).

Pregame parading.
  
Passing the flag around, this is big over here and super cool to watch.


* After the game yesterday, we went to Winter Wonderland - a (strangely) GERMAN festival in Hyde Park, complete with German beer, sausages, Spaetzle, and other such foods. Weird, but I am always for for a Bratwurst - withhold all dirty comments. Pervs.

Recreating Oktoberfest, or something like it.

  • And then there was Zip-lining over Winter Wonderland - this would SO not be possible in the USA due to various liability laws. You jump off a windy platform and fly over crowds of hundreds of people on a pretty half-ass zip-line set up. Needless to say, it was VERY fun.

Preparation.
 
This should probably be illegal, that is the zip line there.
 
You just step off the platform, I look scared.

  • There were also rip-off carnival games at Winter Wonderland......Dave loves that shit.

 
Dave was convinced he could master this- not so much.

So what is next:

  • A 2-night stay at the Savoy Hotel!
  • Christmas Eve and Christmas dinners at various fancy places.
  • Christmas Day volunteering at Battersea Dogs and Cats Home (and here is yet another shameless plug for donations to my London Marathon effort for the home).


I have been asked by like 10 people, "what are you doing for Boxing Day?"

Then I had to ask, "when is that again."

For reference, Boxing Day is December 26th. It is a big holiday over here, way more important than Christmas Eve, it seems. I have nothing planned because I didn't know it was a thing there. So I have no idea what we will do. I assume EVERYTHING will be closed. Ideas are welcome and appreciated if anyone knows of something going on.

On Saturday we leave for Austria to ski for a week at St. Anton, and I am so excited I could tinkle. Pray for snow and Merry Christmas. xo

No comments: