Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Drama Queen


*SAM UPDATE*
Thanks to everyone who helped out with Sammy. I am really sorry for the dramatics last week, it was completely uncalled for and annoying. Your emails were all so appreciated thoguh! We have found him a home with a good friend that Sam already knows and loves, I mean really loves (as in D.J.-style loves). When this dude comes over there is full on howling and yelping, he gets so excited. Our friend has already asked several times when he can go get Sam, I’d say he landed well. 

 
Touristing with B.J.
Dave's coworker B.J. was visiting last week. So over the weekend, we took him around for the Amie-and-Dave-special-1-day London tour. Man, we were efficient but exhausted by the end. We took him to all our favs: Westminster (photo to the right), Borough Market, champers at the Lanesborough Hotel, and Hawksmoore for dinner. We also went to the famous Abbey Road (a bit of a letdown there) and over to super-poshy St. John's Wood to see a lot of inflated lips and plastic surgery. That area seemed sort of like the Orange County of London. I think we sufficiently tired ourselves out and went to be on Saturday night at like 10:30 - man we know how to party.

Richmond Park
On Sunday we took a foray into Richmond Park, which is a GIANT park a few miles away from our house. We had a picnic (thanks for the idea F.B.) and hiked around. Richmond is so cutesie-cute we ended up staying there for dinner too.

The walk to the park with the Thames in the background.


So good you get to see it twice.


Bell ringing at the Richmond church at 6:00pm, cool to watch these peeps.

Muswell Hill
Not having a TV has it's advantages, in that I am always on the search for things to do. Last night we saw a production of Muswell Hill in Richmond at the Orange Tree Theater. Tickets were cheap and Time Out gave them a good review. It was a "theater in the round", so the show is in the center of the theater instead of in the front (if you can visualize that from my crappy description). Overall, it was good stuff - note to self: see more theater!

Upcoming Travel - Belgium
I just booked a train trip to Belgium for us over Easter weekend. Dave will be staying for 2 days (he has to get to the U.S. afterwards) and I will be staying for 4 days. It was a bit more expensive that I would have liked, but that is what I get for not being on top of my bank holidays over here. Dammit! As I mentioned previously, booking early saves redic amounts of cash. In any case, we are going to Brussels and then I will be going on to Ghent and Bruges (please suggest other locations if you think somewhere else might be better, I haven't done much research). 

My cousin reminded me that my Grandfather served in the army in WWII over in Belgium, as well as France. I have the old photos he took he was while there, but they are in Palo Alto - crap. I may have to get a hold of those pictures and see of I can find the places he visited 60 . PLUS, his girlfriend Josie lived over there - as in not my Grandma. Family scandal! Well not really - we all just teased him about it, including my Grandma. I think they even visited her and her family a few times in Belgium.