Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Joys of Jetlag

I don't handle jetlag well. I just feel like I have to vomit, most of the time. Then there is my sleep schedule - I am wide awake and hot at 3:00am and dead tired at 10:00am. Yuck. Dave stayed in the U.S. this week so I am left to fend for myself. Which isn't so bad, I get to eat at healthy vegetarian restaurants, read a lot, sit in the sauna at the gym for hours, and I don't drink much without my drinking partner in crime (wait - is that good or bad??). 

Actually the best part of Dave being gone, is sleeping. And don't think I am a bad wife and don't miss the hubby, I'm sure Dave is sleeping like a champ at his hotel in Palo Alto all by himself - and loving every minute. Anyway, the best thing is that I get the whole bed to myself, not that this is saying much. We have a double bed, not even a queen, just a double. This is pretty common here in Europe after all, where everything is so much smaller in general; cars, rooms, apartments, my refrigerator (I have a dorm fridge), my washing machine, etc....... While my love is gone, I generally sleep right in the middle of the bed under our giant, fluffy down comforters - yeah all of them. It is all very Princess and the Pea. I bet someone walking into the room wouldn't even see me cocooned inside all those comforters. Divine! 
 
Mmmmmm fluffiness.

Plus I am reading Hunger Games, and I cannot put it down. It is such a fun book, I highly recommend it for an easy vacation read, it isn't Goethe for sure. I wanted to read this book before the movie comes out in a few weeks here in London. I hate seeing the movie before reading the book.

I also started up German again. Man that stuff is hard and not getting easier. We are being introduced to the past tense (perfekt tense in German). Here are the FIVE PAGES of instruction on how to conjugate a verb in the past tense, yes five......
 
Five pages just to lean to say "I went".

This weekend Dave is home and we are going to see Snow Patrol and the Black Keys, plus lots of other nonsense and shenanigans, I'm sure. Next weekend we are going to the Four Seasons in Hampshire or to Eastbourne on the coast down in Sussex for some downtime. The Four Seasons has a buy 2 nights get 1 free special so it is less than $200 a night to stay there. Eff yeah!

Jess and Andy, this is for you from my German book!  

3 comments:

The Ashtons said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Ashtons said...

Amie,

Deutsche ist nicht zu schwer zu lernen. I liebe Deutsche. I habe fur vier jahren Deutsche bei der Uni gelernt. Es ist Wunderbahr!

Dave ist eine Douchbag.

Note: notice that the German word for shower is "dusche", which is where "douche" came from.

Tschus!

Steve (the superior) Ashton

Andy said...

I'm just gonna say, great word choice. Just knowing Scheibenwischer makes you sound like a local.
Guten Tag