Thursday, February 16, 2012

Breakthrough!

It has happened without me realizing it. I had my German breakthrough. I was on the Tube and the woman next to me was reading a German magazine - not the one there on the right (I just like that picture) but something similar. Anyway, I could read the headlines and actually understand what they said. WOW! That is just what I needed to keep going, because my Deutsch class is hard and makes me feel like an ass.

Let's not get too excited here. I still sound like a 5 year old when I try to read and pronounce most words. I also take 5 years to do my homework because I have to look up every other word in each activity, but hey - at least reading a headline on the Tube is something.

I am listening to German radio right now to work on my pronunciation, but that is tough. Anyone who has been to Oktoberfest knows of the Deutschländer's strange taste in music, Dirty Dancing soundtrack anyone? I think I will be switching to a news station instead.

Lesson to take away, teach your kids a foreign language when they are young so they don't have to blast odd German music through the house while cleaning. I am probably freaking out my neighbors.

And - my FAVORITE German song. I heard it in Austria over X-mas and still cannot get it out of my head.......Mickie Krause - Schatzi schenk mir ein Foto - in all it's glory: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFd9wSSopp0

No comments: