Monday, January 1, 2007

Buenos Aires - Its getting hot in here

After many nights of sleeping with snoring Germans and French speaking Tahitians we were excited to get out of the communal lodge rooms and cold of southern Chile. We arrived at the flat in Buenos Aires to find my Father and his wife Linda already there. The flat is really nice! Forget a hotel = 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, AC (thank god because it is about 100 degrees), TV and best of all a roof top deck = all for half of what a crummy hotel room costs. We are staying in the Palermo SOHO district. It is a younger part of town with lots of restaurants and shops. Amie thinks it looks like a cross between Paris, NY and Mexico City.

Buenos Aires is a walking city, while we did take a bus tour to get us started we have walked for miles. We found the city cemetary where Eva Peron is buried, had beers on busy street corners, and generally oogled at the very nice looking population here! Something for both Dave and I......

Dining here is fantastic, great steaks, wine, and pastas. We have been eating like kings and have struggled even with wine to spend more than $20 a person on dinner. I love this City!

New Years in town is much like it was in Paris, most people spend it with thier families. The difference is after about 1:00 AM people start to go nuts. Kids in the street with M-80s and bottle rockets, drinking and music. By 2:00 AM I was on the roof drinking wine and smoking my cigar only then to see the large city fireworks display. Why the fireworks at 2:00 Am? I do not know but the timing did correspond to New Years in NY? Sorry for those of you I drunk dialed and sorry for those of you who I didn-t get through to also.

Tomorrow we are taking the ferry over to Uruguay for the day to a UN World Herritage city called Colonia.

Miss you all!

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Wow, can Mike and I meet you in Buenos Aires I think it is time to Elope?!?! It sounds like you 2 are having an amazing time. I know that dad would have been so proud to know the trip was dedicated to him. Amie, I need you back in the United States you know I cannot plan a destination wedding without your expertise! Enjoy the rest of your adventure together. We love youguys and wish you well.

Meg & Mike

Jeff said...

Dave, I saved your drunk dial messege. Holy shit, you were hammered! Nothing like being called a douchebag from a someone in another country! Way to do it up!