Saturday, January 13, 2007

Cocks, Corpses and Hari Christnas

Amie and I spent the day at a beach called Trindad. It is a natural preserve and has really nice beaches with waves and was not too crowded. It was a tad overcast which was good since I needed to come out of stage 3 sunburn so I took the day off from swimming. On that note I need to update the water temperature commentl from earlier. Obviously as we move North the water is getting warmer. The boat trip we took the first day we were in Paraty took us to beaches that were shallow with next to no currents so the water was like in the carribean (bathwater). It was also a little stagnent so you could see the film of sunblock floating on top like spilled gasoline. The beaches near Paraty are much nicer, warm (like Hawaii in the summer) and have waves. On a more sad note, when we were leavig the park today, on the way out on the main road some guy had been killed and was lying in the street with a make shift blanked on him. The "cops" were just kind of hanging out waiting for the coroner I guess. Amie's first public corps siteing.

Once back in town we went to make sure we could actually get to Rio in the morning so we bought our tickets tonight for the 11:20 AM tomorrow. That should put us in Rio by 3:00 just in time to check into our superfly hotel (by superfly we actually splurged and paid more than $50). We had to do it since the place we are staying in now has no AC, roosters crowing all night (the cocks from the title in case you perverts didn't catch it) and apparantly child beatings. The first night we think the hotel owner was yelling at his son for not doing something in the middle of the night that ended in some mild father on son violence. Any way Amie is so excited about the roof top swimming pool, tv and AC she can hardly contain her self. I am a bit excited myself but am really looking forward to Sugarloaf the giant Jesus and hopefully a futbol game. I am trying to look up the schedule now. Anyone want a soccer Jersey from Brazil?

As long as I am updating things, it has been three days and our bug bites are still itching like crazy. If they don't stop soon Amie and I both may go mad. At least my sunburn is getting better finally. This way I'll look like an American but at least I won't be super white. Speaking of which there are NO english speaking people down here at all. We have yet to run into an American in Brazil. A few Brits and some Aussies but that is it.

Ok I've got to go meet Amie for more cocktails, hopefully tonight there won't be another troup of Hari Christnas playing "Christna" rock in the plaza tonight. Although I do need a haircut, do you think they would shave my head without joining?

Until tomorrow in Rio...

Canucks - I feel so bad for you, I saw the weather in Palo Alto this week and with lows around 26 maybe you should have stayed in Canada, eh?

Melissa and Bince - Fire the flower and tell Ray to give Amie a raise, she needs to support me so I can retire.

Jim - No Gauchos so far.

John and Linda, you should have stayed for the beaches. Sao Paulo sucks.

Dave

1 comment:

Mary said...

No Dave, this still beats the weather up north, not by much mind you!!!! Still no snow here....yet!!!

The Canucks