Friday, August 19, 2011

Heard about town

Amies post the other day reminded me about how sometimes it's not what you see that you notice but more of what you hear that reminds you are not in the US anymore.

Heard in Ireland at the Hertz rental counter.
"Can you drive an automatic?"

Heard from my co-worker today.
"Pavillion cafe are doing toad in the hole"

One of my employees speaking to me the other day.
"I have a right to a job"

As this fat man (towing his 4 kids down the street in Pimlico) wearing a loud pink overpriced golf shit with his belly hanging out and his finger jammed two knuckles deep into his ear responding to his 7 year old daughters question of, Daddy, who was that?. To which he calmly and matter of factually stated (with finger still twisting deep into his auditory channel), oh, that was daddy's probation officer".

My thoughts here are simple. I can in fact drive an automatic and what the fuck is "Toad in a Hole"? The last two may explain a little about Nick Goddard. You don't in fact have a right to a job but maybe if you are a fat felon cranking out too many children you don't have a right to the dole either. If only I had a picture of this guy to illustrate my point. Clearly this guy isn't working and with his fashion sense and ability to wear "designer" clothes, breed recklessly and clean his ears with his fingers protesting his sloth to the world tells me he has no intention to either.

Every country and especially in large cities have a wide swath of humanity but London for some reason may be on the leading edge of examples of "wow, really?"

1 comment:

SanHoNoMo said...

Awesome. Just awesome.
I'm just gonna guess that our version of Toad in the Hole is vastly different from the UK version. Or, English cafes must stink.
Right to a job, Daddy's probation officer. Wow.