Thursday, August 11, 2011

Off to Ireland

Tomorrow we leave for Ireland, homeland to my mother's side of the family (O'riordan). Though, we fly into Belfast and will be staying in the north at Downings Bay - the fam is from the southwest in County Kerry. I have been preparing my rain-gear, and my liver. It is going to be a long drinking weekend with our friends up there.

It makes me think about heritage and all. I feel like I look so different from the women here, I am not what you would call an "English Rose" with the blonde hair and practically transparent skin. There are a lot of those walking around London.

I guess I never realized how many muts there are in the U.S. When you ask someone where their family is from in the U.S., generally you'll get a mishmash of German/Irish/Polish/Indian/Japanese/Armenian - whatever. Over here, you get a weird look because they are all from where ever their accent happens to be from (England, Ireland, Germany). I find it quite interesting.

I know my fathers side of the family is mostly norther German, hence the hard to say/spell "Glaser" (so you'd think with the Irish and German - I could drink like a fish, but no). Dave is Welsh/English/Norwegian/French - super mut. We will have to make some pilgrimages to those areas too, in the summer of course......

In other news, I just booked a trip on the chunnel to Paris in October. Hells yeah! I know, we have been there before - but come on, it's Paris.

1 comment:

SanHoNoMo said...

You guys are our second favorite mutts. Right behind Jada the rodent hunter.