Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Not Sure What to Think

There are riots in London, in case you haven't heard. They are pretty localized, but the press is loving it all. I have been listening to the BBC and the debate is so compassionate as compared to what you would probably hear in the U.S. if there was a riot in S.F. There is a lot of talk about how the majority of rioters are kids (12 to 15) and they need help - big time. People used Twitter and Facebook to start the riots and now people are using those sites to organize neighborhood clean ups. Ironic. The sad thing is that insurance doesn't generally cover rioting damage here. That sucks for those small family businesses.

In more terribly selfish and superficial news, we got the junk (old curtains, broken garden furniture, our gross-ass couch, etc.) moved out of the flat. The junk disposal company was late arriving this morning - so I called them. The guy on the phone told me that the riots were making a few employees late, so I needed to be patient. Oh well eff-me, I felt like a total illiterate American asshole.

Well one guy finally showed up, a Brazilian from Sao Paulo. We chatted about being from the other side of the world. My limited Portuguese was unimpressive (unless I was asking him for a beer or the bathroom). The two of us hoisted all the bags of crap and trash out of the house, such teamwork! I think I scared him a little because your normal female Londoner probably wouldn't help lift a couch out of a basement apartment...... The living room is quite empty, as you can see in the photo there on the right.

Now we need to get serious about a rug, a couch, and cleaning up the "garden", as they call it here. The space is quite nice and right off the bedroom. It looks as though no one has been out there for years. I would be intimidated by the overgrowth, but the space is so small. I think Dave and I can attack it in a weekend. It is too late for any veggies but some herbs, greenery, flowers, and functioning chairs would make the space quite nice. It will have to wait till next weekend though. This weekend we are heading to Downings Bay, Ireland with the KF, LF, and other friends.

In other much more interesting news, I had a lovely run through Hyde Park while listening to some newly downloaded Beatles. I felt so British, which I am definitely not - still too tan.

And your daily dose of WTF:

Uhm, OK now I really want to walk over this bridge during rush hour. At least they are honest.

1 comment:

SanHoNoMo said...

Nice outdoor spot -- how are the mosquitoes in London?

Also, how far are riots from you and have they impacted your daily life past getting the manky couch evicted?

I'll shamefacedly admit that I had no idea there were riots at all until we got back from vacation.

Digging the travelogue. Thanks!!